I went to a bridal shower this past weekend and wanted to make something crafty for her gift. I decided to rummage through my intense fabric stash to see what I could do. And my fabric stash and I came up with this little beauty.
It was so fun to make. The original dimensions of the green/white checker fabric was 18" X 24" which gives plenty of coverage to save those pants from messes in the kitchen. I decided on a removable flower clip rather than a pocket because I never use pockets in aprons. The flower originally was a ruffle that was going to go along the front edge of the apron, but I wasn't crazy with how it looked when I positioned it there. I am very pleased with the little flower.
I forgot to include a photo of the ties. I used 7/8" hot pink grosgrain ribbon for the two ties. I like the way ribbon looks for ties and it saves so much time compared to making fabric ties.
My favorite part about this finished product is that it looks finished! I was precise with all my stitches and hems and in the one place on the under side that there is a raw edge, I did a tight zigzag stitch to give it a serged-edge look (Someday. maybe I'll have a serger of my very own!).
I like it when my home-made creations look more professional.
Try one yourself. And if you would like any more details of how I made this apron and flower, let me know and I can share.
~ Chelsea ~