Hello, welcome to Homemade Home, where we share our ideas for decorating, crafting, sewing, and using a little creativity to save some dough!

Friday, January 13, 2012

House Number

I am excited that I was able to finish a quick project that I started pre-baby. I made a house number plaque to hang near my front door. Our house number is not very visible on our house, so I wanted something large and bold with the number so that people can see it from the street. Also, I don't like all the door-to-door salespeeps we get around here, so just maybe my plea for no soliciting will be noticed and respected. I have hopes, but not high ones! It's worth a shot, and it was a fun little project.


I purchased the wood plaque at Joanns using a 50% off coupon so it was about $5. I painted it with the brown paint we have for the accents on our house. Then I used my silhouette machine to cut out the numbers and letters in white contact paper. I placed them on the painted surface and then painted on a finishing coat of decoupage for durability for being outside. I hammered in a sawtooth hanger on the back to hang it up. 



Even though I didn't get the letters perfectly strait (and because I'm a perfectionist that slightly bothers me), I still love how it turned out and how it looks on my front porch. 

~ Chelsea ~

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your idea! But, I have a silly question..,what
is a silhouette machine?

Chelsea said...

That's not a silly question! A Silhouette Machine is a craft cutter (similar to the Cricut).
You can see all that it can do on their website. http://silhouetteamerica.com/
It's a very fun gadget to have!

Unknown said...

I like that! And I would've never noticed that the letters were crooked.