Hello, welcome to Homemade Home, where we share our ideas for decorating, crafting, sewing, and using a little creativity to save some dough!

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Fabric Banners - Simplified with a Pinking Rotary Cutter

I've made a few fabric banners and I tend to love them! I love how they use such a small amount of fabric, how they only take 20 minutes max to make and the cute look they produce over a window in celebration of a party or a season.

I recently purchased a pinking blade for my rotary cutter and it is wonderful, well worth the money for the time and hand muscles it saves. I used my mother's pinking scissors for my first fabric banner and it was less than ideal, but definitely did the job.
I had a hard time finding a rotary pinking blade. I ended up finding one, but a different brand, OLFA, and I was not sure if it would be compatible with my FISKARS rotary cutter. I looked online for answers and it was split about 50/50 with responses saying it definitely would not be compatible and others say they had used them and they worked fine. So, that left me just to try it for myself and I was thrilled to see that it works great. It cuts through several layers of even heavier fabrics with ease.


My mom made this banner for her home that ties a lot of her decor colors together:



Below is my first banner I made for my daughter's birthday party. I've used it since then for a baby shower too. Blurry picture, but you get the general theme.


How we make FABRIC BANNERS:
First I look through my extensive fabric stash and find several fabrics that coordinate and represent the theme desired. I use my simple triangle template and cut around it for all the fabric triangles. Then, I lay out the triangles in an eye-pleasing order on the floor. Then I put the triangles in order into a pile and take them to the sewing machine. I sew across each top and together at overlapping corners (about 1 inch overlap) going aln the way across about 1/4 inch from the top, securing a ribbon/ piece of ric rac to each end for hanging and back stitching each time I overlap two triangle tops. Done. I then hang it up, wash my windows and take pictures of my accomplishment.

Here's another one I made for Autumn Time. 


~ Chelsea ~

No comments: