Hello, welcome to Homemade Home, where we share our ideas for decorating, crafting, sewing, and using a little creativity to save some dough!

Monday, August 22, 2011

Baby Car Seat Canopy

I was so excited to make a canopy for my baby coming the end of this year. 


I like the idea of these canopies for the following reasons:
privacy for the little bundle
less germs from interested people/kids
keeps the bright sun out of her sensitive eyes
keeps weather out
darkness for when baby is sleeping
keeps out drafts of cold air
the car seat handle is still accessible for carrying
they're CUTE!

Joann's had their quilted cotton fabrics 50% off, so I got them at $2.50 per yard and bought two different fabrics, one yard of each. 
So, a $5 project and I LOVE how it turned out.
I'm loving turquoise these days.


I used two different tutorials to get ideas for my canopy.

and

Mine is not reversible, but I chose a contrasted fabric for the outside details and the inside for my baby's visual enjoyment. 



In case you don't want to read the entire tutorials, I cut of my fabric as follows:

Top and bottom main pieces (including the trim) 40" X 34"
Rounded the corners.

Straps: 8.5" X 2.5" 
I pieced together smaller scraps to save fabric and for extra cuteness.
I sewed on Velcro to secure the straps.

Total time needed for project: 1-2 hours


Can't wait to see how my baby likes my work! :)

~ Chelsea ~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just saw these for the 1st time a couple months ago. They're wonderful!! I wish I would have had them for my babies ~ now 19 & 22. I looked in pattern books trying to find a pattern and couldn't find one. This is even better...a free pattern! I make "taggie blankies" to give as gifts and now I can make car seat canopies. :-) Thank you!