Hello, welcome to Homemade Home, where we share our ideas for decorating, crafting, sewing, and using a little creativity to save some dough!

Monday, February 21, 2011

"Painted" Shoes

My little girl grew out of her only church shoes, so I was on the hunt for some new or used shoes. I wanted either black or brown so they would coordinate with most of her dresses. I have had the best luck with finding children's shoes for great prices at the Deseret Industries (D.I.) thrift store here in Mesa. So, off I went  to the D.I. in search of perfectly cheap shoes (most kids shoes are $2-$4).
I found some just her size but they were navy blue. I settled for them and bought them since I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.
Then, when I got home, I had the idea to use black shoe polish to "paint" them black. I first cleaned them up really well and the velcro needed to be cleaned out a lot (hairs and fuz). Then, I got to my painting project.

I am so pleased with how they look so perfectly black! I also really liked how the polish turned the threads from dingy white to black to make the shoe look new again.
Sorry, I forgot to take a before picture. But here they are now.



Try it yourself and transform shoes into just what you were wanting!

~ Chelsea ~

No comments: