Hello, welcome to Homemade Home, where we share our ideas for decorating, crafting, sewing, and using a little creativity to save some dough!

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

My Shabby Bedroom Series (Mood Music) - Record Player Redo

I'm a self-proclaimed music person. Music talks to me in ways that words can't. It can even dictate my thoughts and moods... yeah, I have to be careful about what music I listen to. So, knowing this about myself, I knew I needed something musical in my bedroom. Something to set my mood... whatever it may be. Enter the record player. There is something cozy about that scratchy sound and the warmer tones of a record. And bonus! records are like $0.50 at thrift stores. I decided to buy one of those vintage inspired replica record players... you know... the typical oak one that they sell on the Home Shopping Network during the middle of the night (I don't know... I actually don't even get the Home Shopping Network). I liked the look of the really old phonographs, but I didn't want to invest a lot into restoring one to actual working condition. So I found an already functional cheesy replica on Craigslist for pretty cheap. It was cherry wood, but I wanted to lighten it up. I painted it a color in my paint stash called "Antique White". I thought it was appropriate. After letting it dry, I distressed it with sandpaper and then went over it with a rag that had mahogany stain on it... you know, dirty it up a little. I'm pleased with the end result and love listening to my records while I fold laundry (...oh no, not laundry again. Still need to tackle that pile).

<3 Crystal


1 comment:

Johnna Jayne said...

That is AWESOME! Nice that it has a tape player as well! My sister gave me some old 'Joy School Preschool' tapes the other day and I was like, eh. . . What am I going to do with these?! I really LOVE the shabby chic look you gave it, so fun!